Yo-kai Watch Shadowside: The Return of the Oni King (Japanese: 映画 妖怪ウォッチ シャドウサイド 鬼王の復活 Eiga Yōkai Wotchi Shadō Saido: Oni-ō no Fukkatsu, 극장판 요괴워치 섀도사이드: 도깨비왕의 부활) 妖怪手錶：光影之卷鬼王的復活 is the fourth theatrical film in the Yo-kai Watch franchise. The movie made its debut in Japan on December 16, 2017. It is the first film in the series to be a sequel to the original anime series, as well as the first crossover film with Shigeru Mizuki's GeGeGe no Kitarō franchise.
In South Korea, the movie was localized with a September 20, 2018 release.
"There used to be a boy who could control Yo-kai with a mysterious watch. However, he became unable to see Yo-kai when he became an adult. With the boy's duties finished, the watch was buried away in space-time. Then 30 years later, quiet everyday life comes to an end as a fateful day beging with a comet drawing near. The terrible Yo-kai virus Onimaro infects people's malevolent intentions and spreads infinitely. The one chosen by the Yo-kai Watch is the one who can save humanity from its crisis. The bond between humans and Yo-kai may be recovered with the attainment of a new Yo-kai Watch."
Debuting Human Characters
- Natsume Amano
- Touma Tsukinami
- Akinori Arihoshi
- Mitsue Arihoshi
- Saki Machida (Minor)
- Keisuke Amano (Cameo)
- Onimaro Leader
- Kaodeka Oni
- Jaou Kaira
- Oniou Rasen
- Fudou Myouou
- Nezumi Otoko
- Konaki Jijii
- Sunakake Babaa
- Shutendoji (Shadowside)
- Shuka (mentioned)
- Whisper (Shadowside)
- Jibanyan (Shadowside)
- Komasan (Shadowside)
- Enma Daiou (Shadowside)
- Nurarihyon (Shadowside)
- Kyubi (Shadowside)
- Fubuki-hime (Shadowside)
- Himoji (Shadowside)
- Merameraion (Shadowside)
- Rai Oton (Shadowside)
- Seiryuu (Shadowside)
- Gashadokuro (Shadowside)
- Komajiro (End credits Image)
- Noway (End credits Image)
- Dame Dedtime (End credits Image)
- Usapyon (End credits Image)
- Zazelmare (End credits Image)
- Narwail (End credits Image)
A fourth movie was first revealed by the staff behind Yo-kai Watch the Movie: The Great Adventure of the Flying Whale & the Double World, Nyan!. Like other releases, they said would be released during the winter of 2017 and that they would reveal its release date and its title later on.
In July, 2017, the title and its release date sere revealed in CoroCoro Comic which features Lightside and Shadowside transformations of various Yo-kai. It is revealed that they would have the ability to transform into "lightside" and "shadowside" forms. In these forms, Yo-kai show different personalities, abilities, and appearances. The magazine shows pictures of Jibanyan, Komasan, and Whisper in lightside and shadowside forms. Akihiro Hino also described the film as a "completely new horror comedy", and would be much darker in tone than the previous films.
The plotline of the story focuses on three new human characters. The first is Natsume Amano, a 13-year-old Junior High School girl and also the daughter of Nathan Adams, who nearly drowned in a river when she was very young. She remembers "something" saving her from drowning. Second is Touma Tsukinami, a 13-year-old Junior High School boy whose parents are busy with work, so he is always alone and is mysteriously attracts Yo-kai. The last is Akinori Arihoshi, a Shaman-in-training and the oldest of the Arihoshi Siblings, whose family uses Yo-kai in fortune-telling for generations.
Later in September 13, Level-5 officially announced the film to be a crossover with Shigeru Mizuki's GeGeGe no Kitarō manga series, and with the titular characters appearing in the film. The film's second trailer was later released in October of 2017.
Most of the cast from GeGeGe no Kitaro returned to reprise their roles in the film as well as some newcomers. Masako Nozawa will reprised her role again as Kitaro, 9 years after last voicing her character in the 2008 Anime Adaptation of the original Hakaba no Kitarō manga. Other cast that appeared in the film are Yudai Chiba voicing Touma and Mone Kamishiraishi voicing Natsume while Takaya Kuroda and Daisuke Hirakawa voiced Jibanyan and Komasan respectively.
- This is the first Yo-kai Watch film:
- To be a sequel to the original series, serving as a pilot to the Shadowside anime.
- To focus on completely different main characters.
- For Etsuko Kozakura and Aya Endō to not voice Jibanyan and Komasan receptively.
- For Hovernyan to not make an appearance.
- To not have "Da nyan!" at the end of the Japanese title.
- To not have an Ichiban Kuji tie-in.
- Invader Mode Usapyon, Dame Dedtime, Narwail, Komajiro, and Noway all appear in the credits for as a callback to the other movies.
- Because of how M05 has connections to this movie, it's most likely to think that it served as the prologue to this movie, with the former, setting the elements of Yo-kai Watch Shadowside into place, and the latter being what happened 30 years afterward.
- ↑ http://top.tsite.jp/entertainment/cinema/i/38061387/index
- ↑ http://www.oricon.co.jp/news/2097151/full/
- ↑ 4th Yo-kai Watch Film's Details, New Characters, December Opening Revealed - News - Anime News Network:UK. animenewsnetwork.com. Retrieved on 2017-07-26.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4th Yo-kai Watch Film Reveals Plot, Visual, Character Designs - News - Anime News Network. animenewsnetwork.com. Retrieved on 2017-07-26.
- ↑ 「映画 妖怪ウォッチ シャドウサイド 鬼王の復活」12月16日公開 ジバニャンが衝撃的な姿に | アニメ！アニメ！. animeanime.jp. Retrieved on 2017-07-26.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 「映画 妖怪ウォッチ」上白石萌音&千葉雄大が主人公役に！ ケータの娘と孤独な少年演じる - アニメ!アニメ! 2017年10月18日（2017年10月18日閲覧）
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- ↑ https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-09-13/yo-kai-watch-shadowside-film-adds-shigeru-mizuki-kitaro-characters/.121273
- ↑ http://www.cinemacafe.net/article/2017/10/27/53508.html
|Yo-kai Watch Movies|
|Yo-kai Watch||Yo-kai Watch: The Movie • Enma-daiō to Itsutsu no Monogatari da-nyan! • Soratobu Kujira to Daburu Sekai no Dai-bōken da-nyan!|
|Yo-kai Watch Shadowside||Oni-ō no Fukkatsu • Forever Friends|
|Yo-kai Watch Jam||Yōkai Gakuen Y|