Yo-kai Watch the Movie: Forever Friends (Japanese: 映画 妖怪ウォッチ
The movie's plot is set in the 1960s, which revolves around about a boy named Shin Shimomachi who loses his mother in an accident. He meets Itsuki Takashiro and Tae Arihoshi, who have a way to save the captured souls of humans, including Shin's mother. They meet Yo-kai like Nekomata, Zashiki-warashi, Kappa, and Shin's guardian spirit Suu-san, that help them along the way.
"Sakura Motomachi, Tokyo in the 1960s.
Shin, a boy who lived happily, despite being poor, loses his mother, his only family member, and falls into deep misfortune.
Itsuki, a boy who saves Shin. He also lost his older sister.
Those two boys are joined by Tae, a girl who can see Yo-kai, and together with Shin's guardian spirit Sū-san, and new Yo-kai such as Nekomata, they take on a mysterious incident in order to retrieve the souls of their precious family!
And what is the shocking truth that awaits them...!?
This is a story about the friendship formed between three children and Yo-kai―"
- Kappa (Salaryman)
- Zashiki-warashi (M05)
- Tamamo/Tamamo no Mae
- Yasha Enma
- Karasu Tengu (M05)
- Yamata no Orochi
- Kenshin Amaterasu
- Kuro Oni (Shadowside)
- Genbu (Genjuu)
- Byakko (Genjuu)
- Ashura (Kenbumajin) (cameo)
- Nathan Adams (Ending Credits)
- Nathaniel Adams (Ending Credits)
- Amy (Ending Credits)
- Hailey Anne Thomas (Ending Credits)
- Akinori Arihoshi (Ending Credits)
- Natsume Amano (Ending Credits)
- Saki Machida (Ending Credits)
- Haruya Sakami (Ending Credits)
- Ganryuu Shimanouchi (Ending Credits)
- Touma Tsukinami (Ending Credits)
- Shutendoji (Shadowside)
- Ancient Enma
- Lord Enma
- Background Yo-kai
- Douketsu (Ending Credits)
- Jibanyan (Ending Credits)
- Komasan (Ending Credits)
- Usapyon (Ending Credits)
- Lord Ananta (Ending Credits)
- Uula (Ending Credits)
In June 2018, Information on the fifth movie was revealed in CoroCoro Comic along with the title and its release date.
Soon afterwards, the official website was opened, featuring the first story summary.
Tickets for the movie were available for purchase starting on July 13, 2018.
- It has been heavily debated about the time placement of Yo-kai Watch: The Movie and this film, but a Japanese pamphlet confirms it to be set during the former, making this a midquel.
- Despite that, and the confirmation of the Yo-kai Watch setting to be in the 2010s, the story actually takes place in the 1960s rather than the 1950s making this a chronological error.
- The first trailer further confirms this, which shows Nate, Nathaniel, Whisper and Jibanyan make a short cameo appearance at the beginning,
- This is the last Yo-kai Watch movie to be released in the Heisei period.
- This movie has the most appearance of Yo-kai.
- Previous Yo-kai from the original series also appeared in the movie, according to the 2nd trailer.
- This is the first movie in the Yo-kai Watch series to have one ending.
- This is also the the first movie to not contain an opening or ending song from the original Yo-kai Watch anime being used as an ending in a movie.
- This is currently the longest Yo-kai Watch movie in the series, with a running time of 100 minutes compared to 94-96 with the other films.
- This is the first Yo-kai Watch film to not have a post-credits teaser scene for future media and one ending theme compared to two in other films.
- This film is confirmed to be released in South Korea in 2020, which originally broke the pattern of localising Korean Yo-kai Watch films eight months after its Japanese release date. The reason for this is likely the Japan-Korea Trade Dispute in summer 2019, which temporarily postponed localized film releases from Japan.
- This is the second movie to not have Nate as one of the main characters/main focus of the movie.
- Akinori's relation with Tae Arihoshi is shown in this movie as Tae is seen using the same magic spell he and his grandmother perform throughout the Shadowside series. This is further supported by the fact that Tae herself mentions how she comes from a long line of people who had magical abilities.
- Additionally, Tae owns the same Yo-kai Detection Radar Akinori owns.
- As this movie supposedly takes place in the 1960s, it is estimated to take place around 50 years prior to original series and 80 years prior to the events of the Shadowside series.
- At the beginning of the scene when the Enma tournament is held, Babbalong's nose is drawn shorter than usual, and Cadable's face is miscolored in the next shot with Ancient Enma and Zazel.
|Yo-kai Watch Movies|
|Yo-kai Watch||Yo-kai Watch: The Movie • Enma-daiō to Itsutsu no Monogatari da-nyan! • Soratobu Kujira to Daburu Sekai no Dai-bōken da-nyan!|
|Yo-kai Watch Shadowside||Oni-ō no Fukkatsu • Forever Friends|
|Yo-kai Watch Jam||Yōkai Gakuen Y|