Yo-kai Watch Jam - Yo-kai Academy Y the Movie: Can a Cat be a Hero? (Japanese: 妖怪ウォッチJam 映画 妖怪学園Y 猫はHEROになれるか Yōkai Wotchi Jamu - Eiga Yōkai Gakuen Y: Neko wa Hīrō ni Nareruka) is the sixth theatrical film in the Yo-kai Watch franchise. It was theatrically released in Japan on December 13, 2019.
The film is set in an alternate universe that has human counterparts of existing Yo-kai attending an academy which has mysterious Yo-kai. Eventually, they learn about the YSP Watch and transform into heroes with Y Medals.
"Set in Y-Academy, an elite school that only allows students with top class abilities to enter. The protagonist, Jinpei Jiba, and his unique friends take on the mysteries of the school as transforming heroes."
- Jinpei Jiba
- Sandayuu Koma
- Mera Raido
- Fubuki Himekawa
- Matarou Tamada
- Ryuusuke Kyuubi
- Ranto Kirigakure (cameo)
- Nayu Kuruhoshi (cameo)
- Ando Yamada
- Emma Daiouji
- Kinya Daiouji
- Haruhiko Usumizawa
- Natsuki Enra
- Kanichi Okehazama
- Mai Chono
- Nozuchika Mitsumatagi (silhouette, cameo)
- Matarou's Grandfather
- Matarou's Parents
- Shining Boy
- Kazuma Shishiguro
- Onryo no Tamago
- Kyodai Salaryman Miyazawa-san (cameo)
- Gakkouger Y
On March 14, 2019, information on the sixth movie was revealed in CoroCoro Comic along with the title and its release date.
On July 13, 2019, the Yo-kai Watch Movie website was updated to include information on the characters, and also had a new competition to design a Keystone for Kengo Benimaru's new form. Five videos were also released which was a song called Let's Go to Y-Academy produced for the film sung by five different utaites.
Before the movie was released, a code could be redeemed in Yo-kai Watch 4 to get Jiba Jinpei's earpiece that starts a small quest. It would later become a regular item in Version 2.0.0 of the game by connecting to the internet. An update with part of it based on this movie was released in December 2019 with the Yo-kai Watch 4++ expansion.
- In the first trailer for the movie, the Y Medals had Shadowside Tribes on them, which was later removed in the released movie.
- This film makes several references to the original Yo-kai Watch franchise:
- Jinpei and Bakera make similar dance moves to the Gera Gera Po Song while in the entrance assembly.
- Matarou pretends to be Noway when the YSP Club is formed.
- The scene with Kinya and Emma Daiouji running to hug each other is reminiscent of a similar scene with Nate and Jibanyan in The Spooky Intersection of the Yo-kai Watch anime series.
- When Jinpei uses his fork to try and eat the food at the fancy restaurant, he stabs it fast and says "Nyanyanyanyanya" in the same vein as Jibanyan's Paws of Fury Soultimate Move.
- The scene with Matarou using a weapon to defeat Tamago is reminiscent of a similar scene with Touma using the Fudou Raimeiken to defeat Oniou Rasen in Yo-kai Watch Shadowside the Movie: The Return of the Oni King.
- This is the second Yo-kai Watch movie to have blood, where it appears in Tamago's introduction screen.
- This is the second piece of Yo-kai Watch media to have self-insert guest stars, with the first originally being Yo-kai Pandanoko of the Yo-kai Watch anime series.
- This is the first Yo-kai Watch movie to be released in the Reiwa period.
- This is the second film to spawn into a series, the first being M04.
- The scene where Gakkouger Y stabs its sword into the meteor resembled the scene from M05 where Yasha Enma was doing a similar thing to Overseer.
- Despite appearing on some posters, Clock Lady doesn't actually appear in the movie.
|Yo-kai Watch Movies|
|Yo-kai Watch||Yo-kai Watch: The Movie • Enma-daiō to Itsutsu no Monogatari da-nyan! • Soratobu Kujira to Daburu Sekai no Dai-bōken da-nyan!|
|Yo-kai Watch Shadowside||Oni-ō no Fukkatsu • Forever Friends|
|Yo-kai Watch Jam||Yōkai Gakuen Y|