Chairman McKraken (Japanese: イカカモネ議長 Ikakamone-gichō), full name and title Yo-kai World Chairman Squiddilius McKraken (Japanese: 妖魔界議長イカカモネ・ソウカモネ Yōmakai Gichō Ikakamone Sōkamone) or Lord McKraken, is a Boss Yo-kai and the final boss and main antagonist of the Yo-kai Watch video game.
- 1 Appearances
- 2 Biology
- 3 Profile
- 4 Quotes (Yo-kai Watch 4)
- 5 Strategy
- 6 Game Data
- 7 Etymology
- 8 Trivia
- 9 In other languages
- 10 See also
- 11 References
- Yo-kai Watch: Boss Yo-kai.
- Yo-kai Watch 2: Boss Yo-kai.
- Yo-kai Watch 3: Boss Yo-kai.
- Yo-kai Watch 4: Befriendable Yo-kai.
- Yo-kai Watch Blasters: Boss Yo-kai.
- Yo-kai Watch Busters 2: Boss Yo-kai.
- Yo-kai Watch: Wibble Wobble: Playable Yo-kai.
McKraken is a large humanoid squid Yo-kai with grey skin and pointy ears. His nose and mouth are rather big, with the latter having sharp canines. His eyes have red scleras and yellow irises. There is a dark shadow, or perhaps a facial marking covering the top of his face. In his in-game model, his tongue is shown to be white, while in his talk sprites it is portrayed as being purple.
He possesses ten white tentacles, two of which act as his mustache, while the others act as his hair. In addition to them, he has four small bangs covering his forehead. Each of his hands has a peculiar, fanged orifice resembling a squid's suction cups on them, and his arms are a lot bigger than his comparatively short legs. He wears a white robe with bronze colored studs and two round object resembling portholes, a dome shaped white hat, which has dark blue spheres on the sides, which vaguely resembles a squid's head and white shoes.
In his second form, McKraken is more monstrous. His body deforms to the point where he is almost just a head, barely lifting himself up with his hands, while his legs dangle uselessly in the air. His body is mostly white in color, along with several grey and purple parts. His eyes now have multiple colors that constantly change in an expanding pattern. His mouth is even larger than before, now filled with flat, incisor-like teeth.
The bottom half of his body can open up to reveal a second mouth, which contains a purple, round object resembling a tongue, which is this form's weak spot. Above this mouth are several markings, two of which resemble eyes. He still seems to possess tentacles, two still being his mustache, two others acting as proper "arms", and four acting as "teeth" to his second mouth. On top of his head is a grey, hair-like mass with tentacle-like strands.
If he takes enough damage in this form, he will throw a fit and suddenly change color, his body turning bright red, with several green, yellow, and purple patterns.
McKraken appears to be a very prideful person. He believes that Yo-kai who side with humans are pets and traitors, who have forgotten their pride as Yo-kai. As a result, he is shown to harbor a deep contempt for the human world and its denizens. He also appears to be rather confident and stubborn, always assuming it to be impossible for him to lose.
He tends to make puns relating to ocean life and the sea, mostly around squids based on his design and origin. In the Japanese version, he usually ends his sentences with "kamone" (Japanese: カモネ maybe, might), as it's part of his name or more commonly via "-janaika" (Japanese: じゃなイカ "isn't it?") as it contains syllables that sound like "ika" (Japanese: イカ squid), and also frequently uses other words and phrases that contain it in some way.
McKraken has the ability to absorb various forms of energy through the orifices on the palms of his hands, and he can also cause marine disasters. He can control the element of multiple attributes in battle, in both his first and second form.
Being a squid, he can also spit up ink, with his ink being black while he is in his first form, and white while he is in his second form. In his second form, his laughter alone can weaken enemy Yo-kai, and his eyes can confuse them. Additionally, he is possibly connected to the creation of the White Yo-kai.
Before the events of Yo-kai Watch, McKraken conducted a scheme that resulted in his distant relative Squisker, a famous politician, becoming stigmatized and being banished to Infinite Inferno. Since then, he seized control of the Yo-kai World after the death of King Enma.
King Enma's heir was sent to the human world and raised there as one of them, while McKraken consolidated his power. He called it Makai, and named himself its Chairman, with his true plan being conquering the rest of the Yo-kai World and the human world, as well.
During the events of the game, McKraken has begun to put his true plan into motion. The protagonist, Nate or Katie, only gets vague hints of his presence for most of the game, with his influence only showing itself to them in the form of an unnatural number of aggressive Yo-kai swarming Springdale.
When they enter Nocturne Hospital in The Check-up of Doom, Dr. Maddiman lays a trap for them, to get rid of the human that is in the process of foiling his master's plans, but he too is beaten. However, it is through his final words after his defeat that the player first learns of McKraken's existence and his appearance when Draggie's crystal ball reveals to them what McKraken has planned.
They rush to the Yo-kai World to stop him in Farewell, Yo-kai, where McKraken finally decides to launch an all-out Yo-kai invasion in the human world, and is shortly after confronted by the player, alongside the Yo-kai they befriended. Whisper and the player argue that humans and Yo-kai can be friends, but McKraken dismisses their opinions.
After he is defeated, he warns them that he will always come back. Kyubi later informs them that the Chairman disabled all the Yo-kai seals while they were fighting, thus causing the evil Yo-kai to escape to the human realm. This becomes evident when Slimamander returns and fights the heroes again. They successfully beat him, but find out that Uptown Springdale is already taken over by Yo-kai loyal to McKraken.
Without any other options, Whisper suggest the protagonist to seal the entrances to the Yo-kai World, including the elevator which will mean that all Yo-kai the player has made friends with will vanish as well as McKraken's minions. McKraken flees to the Sacred Tree at Mount Wildwood because of Uptown Springdale's claming aura with the cherry blossom trees where the protagonist corners him at last.
McKraken himself who, as a last stand, proceeds to absorb the aura that channels through the Sacred Tree to become a powerful monstrosity while the player and all their Yo-kai friends prepare for their final battle, and finally defeat him for good. With McKraken gone, the last entrance to the Yo-kai World left is the Yo-kai Elevator, which Whisper then seals in order to stop the evil Yo-kai's full-scale invasion on the human realm.
Yo-kai Watch 2
McKraken appears as an optional Boss in Yo-kai Watch 2, and notably plays a much smaller role.
Alternatively, he can be fought at the Springdale Sports Club, in the Fickle five-streak Boss Rush level.
Yo-kai Watch Blasters
McKraken appears in the Chapter 10 sub-quest, Squiddilius McKraken, exclusive to White Dog Squad. The player has to defeat a certain number of White Yo-kai before fighting him. Afterwards, he can be fought in Big Boss mode.
In the Moon Rabbit Crew update, he, along with Dame Dedtime, appear in the story mission Red Granny and White Squid. They are fought in their first forms individually, and are fought in their final forms altogether.
Attacks (1st Form)
Guided Squissile - Fires a large yellow sphere that follows and stuns any Yo-kai hit by it.
Laser Squannon - Fires a blue beam in a straight line.
Squorched Earth - Creates three blue lines on the ground that erupt quickly.
Ink Blots - Spits out three blobs of ink that obscure the player’s vision.
Squangry Blast (Soultimate) - Charges up a large blue beam that deals massive damage.
Attacks (2nd Form)
Tendrill - Attacks a Yo-kai in front of him with three drills.
Turbo Tendrill - Similar to Tendrill, but McKraken follows a random Yo-kai.
Tentackle - Whips his tentacles, covering a semicircle area.
Ink Blots - Similar to his first form, spits out three blobs of ink.
Squalidescope - Changes his colors, marking half HP.
Squidcicles - Can only be used when Squalidescope is in effect. Creates a pattern of ice attacks.
Sqourcher - Can only be used when Squalidescope is in effect. Creates a pattern of fire attacks.
Possquidle End (Soultimate) - Can only be used when Squalidescope is in effect. Fires a large beam that he rotates 360 degrees.
McKraken Ink - The pitch-black ink McKraken spits. Once of clothes, it never comes out.
McKraken Tentacle - One of McKraken’s tentacles. It always grows back after it’s cut off.
Thick McKraken Ink - When angry, McKraken spits this ink. It’s a silky liquid, good for dyeing.
Tough McKraktacle - A fat tentacle. It keeps moving vigorously for 3 years.
Solid McKraken Ink - McKraken spits this ink when hit. Much like glue, it’s sticky and strong.
Grand McKraktacle - A rare tentacle from McKraken’s nostril. Gourmets won’t give up the hunt for it.
Yo-kai Watch 3
Mckraken appears in the Quest The Old Lady and The Sukiyaki Trade, where he's revealed to be the manager of the Phoenix Sushi and Serenity Tempura, having been sentenced to a fine and community work after his invasion on the human realm in Yo-kai Watch and return some time around the events of Yo-kai Watch 2.
He tries to start a fight with the Haven Sukiyaki restaurant ran by Dame Deartime and the Wicked Executives, feeling that their sudden popularity is taking away his customers. However, Dame Deartime simply apologizes to him, as she did not wish to cause him any trouble, and presumes that surely, he has the same goal as her, which is to atone for their past crimes with their current work.
She argues that given this, they should get along with one another, instead. McKraken is visibly flustered by this, Deartime seemingly catching his fancy, and he says that she's probably right. Placated, McKraken muses that he would like to try the fabled Sukiyaki of Deartime's shop sometime, and she tells him he is always welcome to visit them.
Yo-kai Watch 4
McKraken is a YoKai obtainable by owning a copy of Yo-Kai Watch 1 for Nintendo Switch.
Quotes (Yo-kai Watch 4)
- Freed from the Crank-a-kai, "I'm a bit busy, but all right. I'll give you a tentacle in combat, is that okay with you?"
- Befriended, "SQUEE-HEE-HEE! Let's go show those Yo-kai who exactly they are up against, shall we?"
McKraken is the 9th and final Boss Yo-Kai,pulling out a lot of the tricks that the other bosses have provided. Much like any good final boss, he has 2 forms.
He has no special defensive properties until he charges his Soultimate. He has the following attacks:
- A normal attack that hits twice using 2 of his "hair" tentacles.
- Tentacle Trample (Japanese: イカ足スタンプ Ika Ashi Sutanpu): Commands one of his throne tentacles to slam onto the party, dealing damage to all of the frontline.
- Element Ball (Japanese: 属性ダマ Zokusei Dama): Fires a energy ball at an ally that can be any element barring Drain.
- Great Left Hand (Japanese: カミの左手 Kami no Hidarite): Absorbs some of a single ally's HP with Drain-elemental damage, healing back half of the damage done. May also inflict a level 3 Inspirit that has a confusion effect. Cannot be used if the sucker is destroyed.
- Evil Right Hand (Japanese: アクマの右手 Akuma no Migite): Absorbs a single ally's Soultimate Charge. May also inflict a level 3 Inspirit that prevents an ally from acting. Cannot be used if the sucker is destroyed.
- Squid Ink (Japanese: イカスミ Ika Sumi): Spews out ink from his mouth, inflicting a level 3 Inspirit that drastically reduces the SPD of all front-line Yo-Kai.
- Soultimate: Squangry Blast (Japanese: イカリMAX砲 Ikari Makkusu-hō): McKraken summons a ball of pure energy, firing at the frontline to deal massive non-elemental damage to them all. Can be used when below 50% HP and after 3 turns if he is uninterrupted.
Being the final boss, he has a lot of tricks up his sleeves: powerful attacks and Inspirits, draining your HP and Soultimate, a technique with any element if he can, and neutral resistances but a high HP stat. His suckers can be damaged and destroyed with enough damage, but can revive themselves over time. When he charges his Soultimate, a counter will appear reading "SQUIDOOM IN (number) TURNS)", making it the only one with a visible countdown in the game, while 4 tentacles come in to protect him from damage. You have to damage the tentacles enough for them to retract, and then damaging him just enough will cause him to cancel the Soultimate, leaving him vulnerable and unable to act. Surprisingly, he can be inspirited easier than most bosses.
He can only be damaged when his true mouth is open. He has the following attacks:
- A normal attack that hits once using one of his tentacles as a whip.
- Tentadrill (Japanese: ドリル触手 Doriru Shokushu): Summons drills from the inside of his true mouth to strike all opponents. Can only be used when his mouth is open.
- White Impact (Japanese: 白の衝撃 Shiro no Shōgeki): Releases a burst of white energy outwards, dispelling any positive Inspirits in effect.
- Squeeheehee! (Japanese: イーカッカッカ! Īkakkakka!): Laughs maniacally, causing all frontliners to get a level 3 Inspirit that lowers DEF dramatically.
- Feeling Dizzy? (Japanese: 目がまわらなイカ Me ga mawaranaika?): Spins his eyes in a hypnotic motion, causing all frontliners to get a level 3 Inspirit that gives a confusion effect.
- Squid Ink (Japanese: イカスミ Ika Sumi): Spews out white ink from his mouth, damaging all Yo-Kai rather than inspiriting them. Can only be used when his mouth is open.
- You're Calamari! (Japanese: イカ焼きにするぞ Ikayaki ni suru zo): Develops himself in flames and rushes towards the frontliners, dealing Fire-elemental damage to all of them.
- Inkredible Shock (Japanese: イカずちはイカが Ikazuchi wa ika ga): Summons a lightning storm to strike the frontliners, dealing Electric-elemental damage to them.
- Tentyphoon (Japanese: イカタイフーン Ikataifūn): Summons a large typhoon to blow away all of them, dealing
- Soultimate Vibe (Japanese: ひっさつだめ Hissatsu Dame): McKraken charges up his Soultimate via the ball in his mouth. If damaged enough times, he'll be cancelled out of it and be stunned for a few turns.
- Soultimate: Possquidle End (Japanese: これで最期カモネ砲 Kore de Saigo Kamone-hō): McKraken stomps on the ground and then charges up a massive laser beam, firing at the frontline to deal massive non-elemental damage to them all. Can be used when below 50% HP and after using Soultimate Vibe if he is uninterrupted.
The 2nd form is even more tricky thanks to 2 disgusting all-targeting Inspirit moves, non-elemental attacks, and the ability to wipe away your buffs makes it a hard fight. In order to fully damage him, you must damage the chest area enough to force him to open his mouth, attacking the orb in there. You can strike the 2 nose tentacles 1st to get the chest to glow, but that doesn't matter much. When he goes below 50% HP, he changes to a gaudier color scheme and gains new elemental attacks. He can also now use his Soultimate, which is pretty much similar to his 1st form's Soultimate but without the tentacle wall.
First Form Moveset
Second Form Moveset
"Squidillius McKraken" contains "squid", and is likely a reference to the kraken.
Like his English name implies, McKraken might be based on the kraken and similar mythological sea monsters.
- McKracken is the only Boss Yo-kai fought in the main story of the Yo-kai Watch video game to be fought again. Subsequent bosses in later games are fought via the Springdale Sports Club.
- In the Moon Rabbit Crew-exclusive mission Red Granny and White Squid!, McKraken refers to how squid has gained popularity in recent times, which would either be a reference to the White Dog Squad opening theme We Wanna Eat White Squid or how in a theoretical sense, a popular game called Splatoon was released two months before the version came out in Japan.
- Yo-kai Watch 3 is the only main game to feature McKraken as a Boss where only his second form can be fought.
- McKraken is the first final Boss Yo-kai that can be befriended, in Yo-kai Watch 4 via a code with both digital and physical releases of Yo-kai Watch 1 for Nintendo Switch.