Yo-kai Sangokushi (Japanese: 妖怪三国志 Yōkai Sangokushi) is a turn-based and tactical role-playing game developed by Level-5 and Koei Tecmo Games for the Nintendo 3DS. The game released on April 2, 2016 in Japan.
The game is developed by Koei Tecmo Games, and is based on Koei Tecmo Games' long-running Romance of the Three Kingdoms series.
On the ocean overlooking a sunset, two teams (one consisting of Whisper, Jibanyan, Komasan and Venoct, and another one consisting of Kyubi, Hovernyan and Usapyon) are staring each other down, and shortly begin attacking each other:
- Jibanyan tries to use his Soultimate, Paws of Fury, on Hovernyan's team, but fails and end up fighting himself in mid-air. He tries to get the enemy's ship, but was falls into the water.
- Whisper and the rest of his team sees Hovernyan's team fire several arrows at and escapes. Komajiro tells Komasan to escape, but Komasan mistakenly believes the arrows are ice cream, and jumps out of the boat trying to grab them, but ends up falling into the water..
- Hovernyan's team fires several rockets at the remains of Whisper's team, but Whisper uses a fan to change to direction of the rockets and sends them back at Hovernyan's team, causing them to panic.
In a yellow void, an unknown voice says to choose either Jibanyan, Komasan or Usapyon to be the true hero. After the decision, the scene cuts to the chosen character waking up, thinking that the previous events were just a nightmare. After a cutscene, the player's chosen Yo-kai heads to the shop and a cutscene will occur where the unknown voice from before reveals a hint, telling the player to head to the school's library.
Depending on the Yo-Kai chosen, the following scene is different. The player's chosen Yo-kai enters the library to find that the other two unchosen Yo-kai are also there and have found a mysterious book. They attempt to read the mysterious book, but a purple flash occurs and the player's chosen Yo-kai sees that the other two are being sucked into the book . At first, the player's chosen Yo-kai ignores them and their shouts for help. The player's chosen Yo-kai then tries to save them, but accidentally trips on a book and gets sucked in, along with the other two. After the trio get sucked in, the book automatically closes and falls to the ground, and the icon on the cover flashes with the purple aura.
Yo-kai Sangokushi is a strategic turn-based game unlike other entries.
Unlike the main series Yo-kai Watch games, the player cannot choose Nate, Katie or Hailey as the main protagonist, but Jibanyan, Komasan or Usapyon to play through the game. Scenes will be different depending on the chosen playable character.
The combat is similar to other strategic turn-based games, such as Fire Emblem. Yo-kai can be selected and moved around. When a Yo-kai is selected, there are two different spaces indicating different things. The blue space is where the chosen Yo-kai can move around, while the red space is where the enemy Yo-kai can move. Once a Yo-kai is close to their enemies, they can attack them which will damage of their opponents and reduce their HP. A Yo-kai is defeated if it runs out of HP. Yo-kai can also be Inspirited and can use their special moves in battle.
The Yo-kai can unleash a powerful attack against the opposing commander Yo-kai which will unleash a commander from the Romance of the Three Kingdoms series. When the player's Commander Yo-kai launches an attack on the opposing Commander Yo-kai, the two of them will fight each other, in which the player has to hit the A-button repeatedly until the gauge of their opponent is lowered enough to launch a special Commander Attack.
When Yo-kai Sangokushi is linked to other games in the series, special Yo-kai are unlocked:
- Nyanmajo Himiko is obtained for linking Yo-kai Watch Blasters: Red Cat Corps.
- Nyankishi Susanoo is obtained for linking Yo-kai Watch Blasters: White Dog Squad.
- Jibanyan S Ryubi is obtained for linking Yo-kai Watch 2: Bony Spirits.
- Komasan S Son Saku is obtained for linking Yo-kai Watch 2: Fleshy Souls.
- Komajiro S Son Ken is obtained for linking Yo-kai Watch 2: Psychic Specters.
When Yo-kai Sangokushi is interlocked with the Sushi and Tempura versions of Yo-kai Watch 3, the player will receive an item allowing them to battle and befriend Jibanyan Liu Bei, Komasan Sun Ce, and Usapyon Zhongda. In the Sukiyaki version, linking will give you an item to battle and befriend Whisper Kongming, Hovernyan Cao Cao, and Orcanos Lu Bu. In the International release of Yo-Kai Watch 3, both items can be obtained by scanning a QR Code, as Yo-Kai Sangokushi has not been released outside of Japan.
The game was first announced during Level-5 Annual Vision 2015: The Beginning event. On January 15, 2016, Level-5 revealed in the Japanese magazine CoroCoro that the game will release in Japan on April 2, 2016. Players who have purchased a physical copy of the game will receive special Commander Legendary Medal for Komasan. First-print copies come with that Komasan’s figure strap, and digital downloads get a bonus Buchinyan Cho Un that joins the player as a friend in the game.
Physical copies of Yo-kai Sangokushi each contain a Komasan Sun Ce medal and a Komasan Sun Ce figure strap. The Komasan Sun Ce medal will give the player a Gyokuji item which is a rare equipment that boosts the status up to 25 points. The Komasan Sun Ce figure strap will give the player a Five-Star Coin which will give the player a rare Yo-kai. Owners of Yo-kai Sangokushi will receive a present which is Buchinyan Cho Un.
|Media||Nintendo 3DS Game Card|
|Download size||6,580 (823MB) blocks|
|Input / compatible controllers||Nintendo 3DS|
|Version||Release date||Official changelog||More information|
|1.1||April 27, 2016||Bug fixes||Update contains bug fixes to give a comfortable gameplay to the player.|
|1.2||April 27, 2016||Several bug fixes||This update contains a set of several bug fixes, such as fixes during battles, not being bothered again after saying "no" after a Yo-kai ask you to be his friend, and several bug fixes of update 1.1 to create a comfortable gameplay for the player.|
Yo-kai Sangokushi sold 518,492 copies in Japan. As of January 5, 2017, the game sold a total of 563,395 copies in Japan. The game was placed on sale on the Nintendo eShop for at least 30% off between January 1, 2017 and January 10, 2017.
- This is the only console game in the series to omit the Watch from Yo-Kai Watch.
- This game and Yo-kai Watch Busters 2 are the only Nintendo 3DS games not to be localized outside of Japan.
- This is the first Yo-kai Watch game to exclude Yo-Kai from previous games, the second being Yo-kai Watch 4. Yo-kai excluded include:
- So far, this is the first Yo-kai Watch game to not have Soul Gems.
- This is one of the two 3DS games that isn't split into two or more versions, the other being Yo-kai Watch (excluding the North American/European version of Yo-kai Watch 3).
- This is the first and only Yo-Kai Watch game that series composer Kenichiro Saigo did not compose for. The soundtrack was composed by Asami Mitake and Takashi Yoshida, who have worked on other Koei Tecmo games, such as Dynasty Warriors and Nobunga's Ambition. However, Kenichiro Saigo is listed in the credits for use of songs from previous Yo-Kai Watch games.
|Yo-kai Watch Video Game Series|
|Main series games||Yo-kai Watch (3DS • Switch • Smartphone) • Yo-kai Watch 2 • Yo-kai Watch 3 • Yo-kai Watch 4|
|Spin-off games||Yo-kai Watch Blasters • Yo-kai Watch Busters 2|
Yo-kai Sangokushi • Yo-kai Watch Dance: Just Dance Special Version • Y School Heroes: Bustlin' School Life
|Applications||Yo-kai Watch: Wibble Wobble • Yo-kai Watch Land|
Yo-kai Taiso Dai-ichi Puzzle da nyan • Yo-kai Watch: Gerapo Rhythm • Yo-kai Watch World • Yo-kai Sangokushi: Kunitori Wars • Yo-kai Watch: Medal Wars • Yo-kai Daijiten
|Arcade Games||Yo-kai Watch: Tomodachi Ukiukipedia • Yo-kai Watch Busters: Iron Oni Force|