Yo-kai Watch 4: We're Looking Up at the Same Sky (Japanese: 妖怪ウォッチ4 ぼくらは同じ空を見上げている Yōkai Wotchi Fō: Bokura Wa Onaji Sora wo Miagete Iru) (simply titled Yo-kai Watch 4 (Japanese: 妖怪ウォッチ4 Yōkai Wotchi Fō) is a role-playing game for the Nintendo Switch, and is the fourth game in the Yo-kai Watch Series.
Yo-kai Watch 4 will introduce a slew of new features and graphical improvements, including a third-person view with full-scale 3D graphics rather than the top-down view present in earlier entries.
It will be released on June 6, 2019 in Japan.
"A grand journey that goes beyond the time and space of the world in which Natsume, Nate, and Shin live in".
Around the end of May 2017, series creator Akihiro Hino wanted to "refresh the series" due to the decline in sales of Yo-kai Watch 3, compared to Yo-kai Watch 2. He also stated that a "new flow" would begin with the fourth movie, which would win back older fans of the franchise.
Details on the fourth mainline game were finally revealed in April 2018, with is set to be released around Winter 2018 on the Nintendo Switch with a Winter 2018 release date. It will feature characters from the Shadowside series and will feature an upgrade that will surprise the players.
More details on the game were also revealed in the monthly CoroCoro magazines that revealed 10 new Yo-kai Tribes for Yo-kai Watch 4. The new tribes are listed as Goriki, Onnen, Mononoke, Tsukumono, Uwanosora, Omamori, Mikakunin, Oni, Izana, and Mikado.
The first teaser for the game was released on June 23, 2018. It also revealed that the game will feature a young Nate in his Yo-kai Watch 3 outfit, along with Whisper, and Jibanyan in their original designs. The teaser also featured new characters Shin Shimomachi, and Nekomata who are set to appear in the fifth movie Yo-kai Watch Forever Friends. They all are shown to enter the setting of the game through certain doors opened by Natsume.
On October 10, 2018, Level-5 had announced that Yo-kai Watch 4 was to be delayed into Spring 2019, with no slated release date. No official reasons had been given for the delay. Through a CoroCoro scan of the March 2019 issue, and later a trailer, it was revealed to be releasing in Japan on June 6th.
Main Article: Gameplay of Yo-kai Watch
Yo-kai Watch 4 introduces a new battle system involving humans using the Yo-kai Watch to battle with the Yo-kai. This battle system is called Yo-ki, in which the human can fire different shots, and assist in battle.
- This will be the very first mainline Yo-kai Watch game:
- To be released on a console, rather than the pure handheld, the Nintendo Switch is a hybrid of both.
- To be played in a third-person view, much like what was shown in the 2011 trailer for Yo-kai Watch.
- To have the ability for the player to "jump" in the air to reach high places.
- To not feature the stamina bar in the overworld, meaning the player can sprint indefinitely while running or riding their bike.
- However the stamina bar is now present during battles.
- To switch between more than two protagonists.
- To have a battling mechanic similar to the Blasters side games.
- To allow the actions of the humans to be of use in battle.
- To include a redesigned logo that was different from the one seen in pre-release material.
- This is also the first game since Yo-kai Sangokushi that isn't split into two versions (excluding the North American/European version of Yo-kai Watch 3).
- This will be the second game to be released on a console, the first being Yo-kai Watch Dance: Just Dance Special Version.
- This will also be the first Yo-kai Watch game to be released on the Nintendo Switch.
- A keychain of the game's box art was given out at World Hobby Fair 2019, but wasn't the final box art.
- Katie appears in the demo during a rare cutscene, but it's currently unknown if she will be a main playable character or not.
- Additionally, a splash screen at the beginning and end of that demo show artwork of all the different forms of Jibanyan's character, including Black Jibanyan. It hasn't been revealed yet if the Black Yo-kai will appear in the game.
|Yo-kai Watch Video Game Series|
|Main games||Yo-kai Watch(3DS • Smartphone) • Yo-kai Watch 2 • Yo-kai Watch 3|
Yo-kai Watch 4
|Side games||Yo-kai Watch Blasters • Yo-kai Watch Busters 2|
Yo-kai Sangokushi • Yo-kai Watch Dance: Just Dance Special Version
|Applications||Yo-kai Watch: Wibble Wobble • Yo-kai Watch Land|
Yo-kai Taiso Dai-ichi Puzzle da nyan • Yo-kai Watch: Gerapo Rhythm • Yo-kai Watch World • Yo-kai Watch: Medal Wars • Yo-kai Daijiten
|Arcade Games||Yo-kai Watch Tomodachi Ukiukipedia/Dream/Shadowside • Yo-kai Watch Busters: Iron Oni Force|